So ich so über den Thread drüberscahue fehlt mir auf, dass in den Guides die ganz ausführliche Synchrofehleranalyse fehlt. Falls ich die Guides wirklich überarbeite, werde ich diese wohl mit übernehmen, und immer unter die Reviews stellen.

Mein Beitrag im JMSNews-Forum zu "Infection" war wieder deutlich länger. Allfällige Spoiler zu weiteren Entwicklungen habe ich entsprechend markiert.
I'm sorry, but I guess I have to count myself with those that find "Infection" to be one of the worst episodes of Babylon 5. However, being the worst doesn't necessarily mean terrible, or even bad. It's just... not really good . There are two things that save it for me: First, the idea of a race that destroyed themselves because of their bigotry. Yes, it's not the most original idea, but I love the message nonetheless. Second, the great scene between Sinclair and Garibaldi in the end. We're so used to our heroes doing heroic stuff and putting themselves in harms way, that we never ever question their motives. They're heroes, it's what they're supposed to do. B5, however, follows a different approach, and actually questions Sinclairs behavior. It's another one of those moments where it hit me how different B5 is from Trek.

However, apart from that scene, "Infection" could very well have been a TOS or TNG-episode. My main problem isn't even the much-maligned Nelson-machine. To be honest, given how he is created, by an alien machine transforming his body, the "man in suit"-approach actually seems apt. I also quite like the design and think the costume, overall, looks quite good. The only thing I don't like about the realization of this episode is the one shot where they show the nelson-machine, then cut to Sinclair, and then cut back again to Nelson, who somehow has transformed back to his own human self within seconds. Now I get it, money was scarce, so they didn't have the budget for a morph-effect. But in that case, I would have preferred to not see him transformed back, at least not that quickly, and to only later learn that he's ok.

But my major bone of contention regarding "Infection" is actually the script. Yes, in general, I like the message. But IMHO, it's beaten into us with a sledge hammer. The scene where Sinclair talks the machine out of doing its dirty deeds is especially bad in that regard. It's just way too on the nose with its criticism of bigotry; so as much as I may agree with the message, I didn't really care for the way it's presented here.

Overall, it's one of the six worst episodes of the show for me (five of which are from season 1, plus one from season 2). Then again, if you compare it to one of the six worst episodes of TNG or even TOS, it still holds up quite well .

Some other random thoughts about the episode:
  • I really like the scenes with the reporter (who IMO is played wonderfully by Patricia Healy), from her first scene with Garibaldi up to the final interview with Sinclair, where he talks about the need for space exploration if humanity - and all its achievements - is supposed to survive.
  • The first scene between Franklin and Hendricks always strikes me as strange. I mean, usually, when you see someone again, you greet him, shake his hand, etc. Here he's just casually walking in, and without much ado, starts with his proposal. Am I the only one who finds this scene weird?
  • As much as I love Christopher Frankes music overall, his score for the scene when the artefacts are activated is a little overdramatic.
  • I really love the chemistry between O'Hare and Doyle in those first episodes. I guess whatever happened to make Doyle not too fond of O'Hare happened later on; or they really managed to hide it in front of the camera (still, is it just my impression or where there less "intimate" scenes between them as Season 1 progressed? Might their alleged differences be a reason for that?)
  • Someone mentioned Hendricks joke about the martian war machine, and Franklins reply. I never took it as a snarky retort, IMO he simply didn't pay attention. Richard Biggs is great, btw, even in his very first appearance (speaking from a production point of view).
  • Dr. Hendricks speech "I've seen things you can't even imagine" always makes me think of the wonderful "tears in rain"-speech in Blade Runner. Does anybody know if it was a deliberate hommage, or simply coincidence?
  • I too find it weird that IPX in their first "appearance" are made out to be this super secret organisation. Also, they're only a front for another company?! I guess it was supposed to make them more mysterious and shady, but I'm not sure how it fits to later revelations about and appearances of them.
  • After not really caring for his direction of the pilot, and also "Soul Hunter" (which was shot after "Infection"), I was pleasantly surprised to find that I actually quite liked Richard Comptons direction of this particular episode.
  • "I'll join Mister Garibaldi on the line." "...putting yourself on the line like this." I love how JMS sneaks in a double meaning with the "battle of the line" there.
  • I always have to laugh when I see the scene where Sinclair simply takes the weapon from that poor security guy. Now he has to sit there totally help- and defenseless .
  • The Ikaaran war machine talkes about the "great maker" . Is that the same deity Londo referred to multiple times during the show? While we're at it: As much as I like his "great maker!" lines, how does it correspond to the Centauri belief system with multiple gods?
  • The scene where the Nelson-machine screams "Ikarraaaaa!" is excrutiatingly bad.
  • The scene where Ivanova says that she doesn't "believe we're so foolish" (to not learn from history) seem to totally contradict her statement in "Soul Hunter" about how we could live for a thousand years and still make the same mistakes. I guess it took JMS a little while to find her character. I assume the script for "Infection" was written before "Soul Hunter" (since it also was produced first)?
  • When I heard Garibaldi talk about "something worth living for"
    Achtung Spoiler!